Ruby on Rails: First impression


Next day learning Ruby on Rails. My first question was, where is documentation, where is entry point. Of course, there is lots of screencast (grr..), videocast, voicecast, but I was looking for documentation similarly to django. You know, page where there would be described all functions. I don't think about API doc, for first user is too hard to understand and to find entry point.



Scaffolds, something that is called killer function. Well it's nice when everything is generated, but why for holy shit I can't add new method to controller. For example I try to add method login and call controller using url /users/login. What I get? Of course error, login could not be find. For goodness what login, I try to call method, not to show object. Developers like an user shouldn't be taken by surprise.



Models with migration are very nice functionality, I saw it last day in Doctrine.



Conventions, conventions and again conventions. You have to write upper case letters, end table with s and other strange CONVENTIONS. I hate it. In django/python I have on, use tabs or spaces to indent and that's all.

No comments: